Author Topic: Android for the PSP (hackables only)  (Read 2835 times)

Offline EchoGecko

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPod touch 1st generation
Android for the PSP (hackables only)
« on: January 28, 2011, 05:41:55 PM »
This would be a great port. Since it uses a MIPS R4000-based processor with no Memory Management Unit (MMU), we would have to use a uClinux kernel. There seem to be a lot of dead projects with this goal, though.

Offline Peacemaker

• WTF, boom.
    • View Profile
Re: Android for the PSP (hackables only)
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »
Well, there's some problems with that. Since NeonKoala hasn't designed Bootlace for PSP, you will need to put a device into Recovery Mode. Which is not possible. :I and I'm pretty sure button emulation would take some time. Sorry dude. :(
Meh. You wouldn't care.

Offline Rekoil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 02:27:27 PM »
By "Other Devices" we really actually meant "Other iOS-based Devices", I thought this would have been obvious, I mean the PSP, the Palm Pre and the Nokia N8 don't really have much in common with the iPhone do they, other than the fact that they all are electrical devices...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 02:29:59 PM by Rekoil »
32gb factory unlocked iPhone 3GS with early bootrom and shsh for all available firmwares
others: 16gb iPhone 3G, 16gb iPhone 2G, 8gb iPod touch 1G, 16gb iPod touch 1G, aTV2

status

Offline EchoGecko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 08:50:35 PM »
But a linux kernel has already been ported to the PSP. I'm not sure about linux on the other devices, but if it has already been ported, can't we finish it and make it amazing?  :D

Offline M4v3r1cX

• NEVER mess up with Hackers
    • View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone3G M4v3r1cX Kustom
  • iDroid Version: MaverickDroid (Pepparkaka based)
  • Jailbreak: redsn0w 0.9.4
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 03:17:22 AM »
But a linux kernel has already been ported to the PSP. I'm not sure about linux on the other devices, but if it has already been ported, can't we finish it and make it amazing?  :D

One of the problems porting other OS to the iPhone, for example, are the Drivers, like the Multitouch driver.
In this case, we are just taking a touch driver, and installing it into another touch screen based os.
The PSP hackeables ones only work with buttons, and it would be really hard to emulate exact coordinatees, due the Android doesnt have a native cursor or something like it.
Am i expresing myself well?
A good idea would be to port the Android to the NGP (aka PSP2), but it isnt hackeable yet, and i dont know if some developer will buy it, so we wont have a device to test it.
Anyway, it would be grate to have a PSP with android on it.
But the XMB from the psp firmware is pretty cool, so i would prefer to port the XMB to the iPhone or something  ;D
WIP Status:
[PC]MaverickDroid(Partial Name)
Currently installed Androidx86 for testing

[iPhone3G]MaverickDroid(Partial Name)
Working on the PMU, GPU and Cam drivers for the OS

Offline EchoGecko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:57:51 PM »
There is an edition of Android out for Netbooks which do not have touchscreens. It uses the mouse. We could get the psp to take feedback from the analog joystick and use it as mouse input.

Offline ddominator

• Global Moderator
  • Trust me, I'm a doctor.
    • View Profile
    • Unofficial iDroid News Blog
  • iDevice: iPhone 2G 3.1.3
  • iDroid Version: Pepparkaka (ddominator custom)
  • Jailbreak: redsn0w 0.94
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 09:55:27 PM »
Or we could all wait for the PS Android device and build from there...
Help Google takeover the world. Use Android on your mobile devices, use Chrome Browser, use Chrome OS!!!  Sell your souls to Google!
Useful links:
FAQ - http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/FAQ
User Manual - http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/User_Manual
Recovery Mode - http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/DFU

Offline M4v3r1cX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 12:02:45 AM »
There is an edition of Android out for Netbooks which do not have touchscreens. It uses the mouse. We could get the psp to take feedback from the analog joystick and use it as mouse input.

Actually, i have it installed on my notebook  ;D, so it could be ported....but we still need some beta testers and a way to emulate the cursor with the pads...

Or we could all wait for the PS Android device and build from there...

It is a better idea :)
The Sony Ericsson Z1 ZEUS, the PSPhone, uses an OS based in Android Gingerbread (i think), but it isnt controlled with the buttons (it doesnt have pads), it is touchscreen
Here's a little video of it. I dunno it is real or fake, but it looks great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6cxaVRs60w
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 12:15:25 AM by M4v3r1cX »
WIP Status:

Offline EchoGecko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 03:18:05 AM »
But waiting is no fun, plus we could possibly get more functionality in some ways by building our own cross platform version for the psp. I'm sure a lot of pre-PS Android owners would love it.

Offline M4v3r1cX

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 03:27:16 PM »
But waiting is no fun, plus we could possibly get more functionality in some ways by building our own cross platform version for the psp. I'm sure a lot of pre-PS Android owners would love it.

Look, i personally know that waiting is no fun. Im still waiting for the stable version of iDroid Gingerbread to start working with the power issues xD.
But, look, if we start working at full to port the Android at exactly this moment, it would be useless, because WE DON'T HAVE THE HARDWARE DRIVERS, and we don't have where to get it.
Even if we could reverse-engineering the PSP kernel to get the drivers, we couldn't make them work in the Android without a lot of work.
If you wait a little, 'till a pre-release of the PS Android or something, the drivers will be easier to get, and then we could port any version of the Android to the PSP
WIP Status:

Offline EchoGecko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2011, 02:30:39 AM »
The PSP has been reverse engineered enough already. That is how many of the PSP's EEProm exploits were revealed. Yes, the actual nitty-gritty disassembled software may not be publicly released, but it is accessible. We don't need a team to work on Android on PSP right now, but it was a mere suggestion for the future. And, as stated before, this section was constructed mainly for iDevices and has skewed into a whole different tangent. Technically, we could close this topic, but it's still an interesting idea.

Offline M4v3r1cX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2011, 12:21:42 PM »
Ok, you that we can close the topic now that you convinced me xD
I was using the Android-x86 (the PC version of the android), and it has no cursor, is controlled with the D-Pad.
Maybe we can use the D-pad from the PSP to controll it, and the X to select thing.
Also, that version of the android has already an accelerometter emulator, so the position of the screen will always be landscape.
With those thing we would only need to import the drivers from the other linux-distro that you mentioned a couple days ago, and the job would be complete  ;)
Currently, im working with the power management of the iDroid and testing some iX images, but it's still a great idea the PS Android, so i will have it in mind, and i'll see if other developers would like to port it in a future
WIP Status: