Author Topic: Using linux more?  (Read 5422 times)

smitty92

Using linux more?
« on: May 07, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
How many people are using Ubuntu or a linux distro more since iDroid came out. I know i personally have been using it as main os, since i upgraded to 10.04 from 9.04, and the fact that alot of the iDroid stuff doesn't work on windows yet.

Offline konaya

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Using linux more?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:31:21 PM »
GNU/Linux has been my operating system of choice for the past several years. I feel completely caged in when having to deal with a Windows environment, and I have a hard time taking any Windows user seriously when it comes to tech related things.

Offline Rekoil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:25:33 AM »
I'm waiting for the cage for a secondary harddrive in my MacBook Pro, once I get that I'll be installing 10.04 :) Will keep OS X for gaming and photoshop :P
32gb factory unlocked iPhone 3GS with early bootrom and shsh for all available firmwares
others: 16gb iPhone 3G, 16gb iPhone 2G, 8gb iPod touch 1G, 16gb iPod touch 1G, aTV2

status

Ryber

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:37:51 PM »
I'm constantly switching between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.
I personally don't like OS X all that much.

I've got a 15gb partition for my Ubuntu, 85gb for windows 7, and 150gb for OS X.
Imo linux has alot of downsides. Drivers are so much betters on Windows 7/OS X when using a MacBook Pro!

Offline Rekoil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:07:26 PM »
Quote from: "Ryber"
I'm constantly switching between Windows 7 and Ubuntu.
I personally don't like OS X all that much.

I've got a 15gb partition for my Ubuntu, 85gb for windows 7, and 150gb for OS X.
Imo linux has alot of downsides. Drivers are so much betters on Windows 7/OS X when using a MacBook Pro!
Windows drivers for multitouch suck, Linux ones don't. Point Linux.
Certain Windows compilers will error if thy detect possible problems with still-supported Windows versions (2000, XP, Vista, 7, and server equivalents) even though the app will only be used on 7, neither Linux or OS X are designed that way. Point Linux and OS X.
Windows has more games than Linux or OS X, although most of them are unplayable these days due to retarded DRM. Point Windows if you play a lot of games (though OS X is catching up here :P).
Linux and OS X kernels are open source. Point Linux and OS X.
Customization? Point Linux.
Plastic look? Windows, not a fan.

Linux - 4 points
OS X - 2.5 points (half point for gaming support)
Windows - 1 point

Lets make a game out of this, post reasons for why you think a certain OS should get a point and I'll edit the scores as we go along :P
32gb factory unlocked iPhone 3GS with early bootrom and shsh for all available firmwares
others: 16gb iPhone 3G, 16gb iPhone 2G, 8gb iPod touch 1G, 16gb iPod touch 1G, aTV2

status

Offline konaya

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 05:39:26 PM »
I actually resent the alleged "downside" about drivers. I have had much more driver issues with windows than with linux. What's all this crap about driver signing? What's all this crap about my hardware being "certified" for windows this and windows that?

Case example: A Canon flatbed scanner.

Windows
Detects it as an unknown USB device. I need to go to Canons web site to download drivers, only to find that the model I have isn't listed, or that the "driver" is a 150 megabyte download containing some stupid "scanning suite" that I don't need, don't want, but can't choose not to install. It's kinda laughable that you can connect to Windows Update to search for drivers, and that it never ever works when you try it. Also, what if it is networking drivers you need? Are you really serious about having to locate, download, and install the drivers myself? What is this, the Dark Ages?

Linux
´lsusb´ happily reports the USB vendor and product IDs, which I could use for finding a driver (really nice if I'm not sure what brand and/or model it is, or if the company has gone belly-up). Furthermore, it actually prints out who made my scanner and what model it is. Now it will be really easy to find drivers! But wait, there's more! I don't actually have to search for a driver, because I only need the SANE (Scanner Access Now Easy) package, probably already included with my distribution! The libsane package is 5 megabytes big, and contains drivers for about a thousand scanners. Yes. A thousand. Compared to the 150MB windows "driver" for one scanner. With this installed (chances are that you already have it), the scanner happily springs to life and scans like nobody's business. Using the software I want.

I didn't take this particular device as an example for its success on linux. I do have a plethora of examples where devices that don't have any drivers for windows available anymore is working out-of-the-box in linux. I actually use a linux live-CD for identifying hardware on different boxes (mine or others), because Windows can't do that.

Windows fanatics use to say that Windows is so good because it's (allegedly) easy to use, and that it has all the software and games written for it. Both arguments are completely irrelevant. Linux is not difficult to use! It's just different from what you've been using up to now. That's why it feels harder; I myself find that each time I need to use Windows, I get so frustrated I can't continue using the crap. It's so effing worthless! I want software A to send some output to software B. That sounds like an easy task, right? But nine times out of ten, Windows can't do it. Ten times out of ten, linux can. Regarding the software availability, it only shows that Windows is really popular. Nothing else. You can easily see on games that has been natively ported to linux that linux really is a good gaming platform, since it uses less of the system, allowing the game to consume more.

Windows is not worth the media it is written on.

Offline Rekoil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:17:02 PM »
Oh, you still use optical media? What is this, the Dark Ages? :P

status

Offline hipy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:36:02 AM »
I use windows 7 for games and for the rest i use ubuntu 10.04

altough i got some old games running via wine ^^

Offline Bluerise

• Dev
    • View Profile
    • https://www.patrick-wildt.de
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 01:14:25 AM »
I'm using Linux/OpenBSD every fucking day in my life. Windows? Maybe one hour in a month. :>

Bluerise

crypted

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 05:46:43 AM »
Right now I am using Ubuntu 10.04 more often than ever before. It´s an nice OS an very easy to handle. I have installed it an my Mac OSX Snowleopard 10.6.3 with Parallels. It runs like a charm. With iDroid I have learnd very much about GIT, Terminal and Linux.

Crashspeeder

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »
It all depends on which computer I'm on.

Desktop:
  • Ubuntu Lucid Lynx (10.04)
  • Windows 7

Laptop:
  • OS X Leopard (10.5) with VMWare Fusion

• Windows XP

• Ubuntu 10.04 server edition

My desktop had a bad motherboard so it went largely unused since last summer.  When the Starcraft II Beta came out (I won a beta key) I just had to fix my desktop since there was no mac client at the time.  I had Windows 7 and Ubuntu Karmic Koala (9.10) dualbooting on it back then.  I eagerly awaited April 29th, when Lucid Lynx dropped, and installed it as soon as I got home.

My laptop was my main computer while my desktop was down.  Once I fixed the desktop I still liked the convenience of using the laptop so I used it as my primary when I wasn't gaming.  Now I switch back and forth between the desktop and the laptop, though my laptop serves as my development machine since I had set up Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (9.04) as a web server on a virtual machine.  When Lucid Lynx came out I installed the server edition of that instead of continuing to use Jaunty Jackalope.  I use the XP virtual machine whenever I need to run something that doesn't work on a mac.  I have a Snow Leopard CD still in its packaging sitting on my desk.  I haven't installed it due to reports of instability.  I'll format and install that at some point.

I'm a bit of an OS-phile.  I like checking out operating systems.  I used to hate OS X but now I hold it in high regard.  I think it's one of the best functioning operating systems.  Ubuntu is a close second with Windows 7 not far behind.

Offline Nick.kromme

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPad1
  • iDroid Version: none
  • Jailbreak: none(yet)
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 10:56:35 PM »
After beginning with MS-DOS I started working with W3.1/W3.11, W95/SE, W98/SE, W2K, WXPpro and after the miserable failure ppl call Windows Vista I RAN for W7ultimate.
After being bugged around for YEARS, I started trying LinuxMINT9-Isadora. I think it sucked. Probably because of the DE.. After I told a friend of mine I hated it, he pointed me at Fedora15 + KDE4. Have been using it ever since.. I love the freedom it gives me, in comparison to Windows.

Not that I want to cut down Windows, I just think it robbed me of my freedom to customize and screw around a little. I'll stick with a 76GB + 4GB Swap for Fedora, 40GB for W7u and leave some blank space for some other OS I might want to try.
For now, HAIL Linux.
Kromme.

Offline hedmo

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iphone3g,ipad2,iphone4
  • iDroid Version: On 3g,idroid 11.04 , ix-openiboot ,ix with lxpanel and pcmanfm
  • Jailbreak: iphone3g=sinful 3.1.3 restore iphone4 and.ipad2=jailbeakme
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
my first pc was a laptop with xp (1006).no more to say about that .jan 2008 i bought my firs box,installed ubuntu but after a time when i hit a problem i had to have days at mr:google to see what others have manage to get it to work
so the ting was to understand linux and it all went down to the terminal.i decided that gentoo was the shit  :P.from that day i have sold my soul to it ;D.i dont recommend it,it is to time killing  :'(.i have gentoo as my main distro with kde as the DE ,xp in a virtualbox just for itunes to up/downgrade and jailbreak my idevices,for songs,media and stuff for my idevices i am using (on my box) wine and winscp via my network to drag and drop all to the idevices,(on the devices) smusic for songs,dont watch movies on the devices,ifile to install app.i have been using linux in my iphone from sep 2010 with ix-openiboot to have both ubuntu and idroid on it,switched the DE on my iphone(ixubuntu)  to lxde to get it faster and it works quite good (just for fun) :P.my box a year ago=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRAuW1Vm1pU

as Nick.kromme Posted,I love the freedom it gives me, in comparison to Windows.

i have sold my soul to gentoo and i hope some day i have it on my idevices!!!!!

Offline Peacemaker

• WTF, boom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 04:09:29 PM »
After beginning with MS-DOS I started working with W3.1/W3.11, W95/SE, W98/SE, W2K, WXPpro and after the miserable failure ppl call Windows Vista I RAN for W7ultimate.
After being bugged around for YEARS, I started trying LinuxMINT9-Isadora. I think it sucked. Probably because of the DE.. After I told a friend of mine I hated it, he pointed me at Fedora15 + KDE4. Have been using it ever since.. I love the freedom it gives me, in comparison to Windows.

Not that I want to cut down Windows, I just think it robbed me of my freedom to customize and screw around a little. I'll stick with a 76GB + 4GB Swap for Fedora, 40GB for W7u and leave some blank space for some other OS I might want to try.
For now, HAIL Linux.
Kromme.
Epic bump.
Meh. You wouldn't care.