Author Topic: iDroid Project Future Plans - Where we go from here  (Read 17549 times)

Offline nickp666

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nickpack.com
  • iDevice: Various
  • iDroid Version: Latest
  • Jailbreak: Various
iDroid Project Future Plans - Where we go from here
« on: September 27, 2011, 01:09:47 PM »
Some of you may have seen us at MyGreatFest/watched it online, for the benefit of those of you that didnt (and because I didnt actually say half of what I meant to) here is my (slightly edited for context) part of the talk, discussing the future plans of the project.

I'll take some time to explain to you where we are heading and for those of you that want to get involved, what you can do to get involved.

So let's get started, with the future of our s5l8900 ports

We're looking for some enthusiastic developers to maintain and progress the first gen device ports, to free us up to continue our work on the A4 and 3GS ports, specifically to maintain and update both android and the kernel, we'll continue work on openiboot and the kernel for these devices, but keeping android going is beginning to become a battle that we don't have enough time  or team members to fight and the way we see it, our time is better spent getting newer device ports completed.

Whilst we are moving current team members away from maintaining android on the older ports, (primarily due to ever evolving android specifications & requirements), we are looking for other community members to join us so that we can focus on the newer ports without abandoning the cause, so if this interests you then feel free to speak to us and we'll be happy to discuss further.

So on to the immediate future of iDroid...

After an large amount of discussion and consideration, we have decided to base our main codebase on CyanogenMod, which I'm sure anyone who knows anything about android, will have come across at some point (some of you may have even seen my proof of concept video on the 3G), it is without a shadow of a doubt one of the most, if not the, most popular android rom for the vast majority of major android handsets out there and implements the vast majority of the most requested features by our community so it makes sense for us to switch.

I will still be maintaining an AOSP based build for the purists among you, but this will be far less up to date than the CyanogenMod based port, I have no plans to bring CyanogenMod to the first generation devices but I have already done some of the legwork and will be happy to help the community get it up to scratch if somebody would like to take on the job.

The community has asked on a number of occasions whether we will be porting honeycomb to the iPad, as it stands at the moment, google have no plans to release the source code until the next major iteration of android (dubbed ice cream sandwich) so at this point it is unknown whether we will port honeycomb, it purely depends on the tablet features of ice cream sandwich as to whether we omit honeycomb altogether.

Now on to Linux....
Anyone familiar with the project will have most likely come across a sister project of ours, project iX, we've been in discussions with the iX project lead Lopi, and have decided to merge our two projects, they are so closely related that the current setup seems a little counter productive, therefore with Lopi I have pledged to help him bring armv7 ubuntu to the A4 devices (I know some of you have been waiting for Linux on the iPad for some time) this is another key reason why we are taking the core team off of the first generation android ports to free up time to progress with some of the more desirable porting projects, a more formal announcement will follow in the current weeks once we've made a few decisions as to where the Ubuntu port is going, but I wanted to let you know about it, so keep an eye out for the announcement if you are interested.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:17:46 PM by nickp666 »

Offline bionicman08

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone3G
  • iDroid Version: 11.04
  • Jailbreak: redsn0w 0.9.6b4
Re: iDroid Project Future Plans - Where we go from here
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »
Do you have any CyanogenMod images for the older devices and a link to the corresponding code source(s)?
I would be very interested in maintaining the iPhone 3G port but I would need a long chat first.

Offline nickp666

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
Do you have any CyanogenMod images for the older devices and a link to the corresponding code source(s)?
I would be very interested in maintaining the iPhone 3G port but I would need a long chat first.

I'm afraid I no longer have the images nor the hacked about ramdisk used to boot it, the patching I did to CM stuff is still on my github account so all is not lost.

Offline gwicks

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS
  • iDroid Version: None
  • Jailbreak: Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3, redsn0w (i think)
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »
Well, I am glad to see that this project is going in a good direction, I've been watching it for almost a year, also, does this mean the github for openiBoot won't be the main one anymore, and will be part of Cyanogen Mod's source?

EDIT: Also, while I may not be able to help with development, I have two devices that I can test with (an old bootrom 3GS and an iPod Touch 2G), and would be perfectly willing to help (yeah, i know theres probably like 100 other people wanting to test, but still). I know how to build something from source, and have a modest amount of Linux experience, and working with the WiiLinux project.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:52:06 PM by gwicks »

Offline nickp666

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:18:01 AM »
Well, I am glad to see that this project is going in a good direction, I've been watching it for almost a year, also, does this mean the github for openiBoot won't be the main one anymore, and will be part of Cyanogen Mod's source?

EDIT: Also, while I may not be able to help with development, I have two devices that I can test with (an old bootrom 3GS and an iPod Touch 2G), and would be perfectly willing to help (yeah, i know theres probably like 100 other people wanting to test, but still). I know how to build something from source, and have a modest amount of Linux experience, and working with the WiiLinux project.

At least for the forseeable future, we're still going to be on our own codebase, once we progress further I will discuss with the CM team about merging our stuff in, there are some things that we'll need to hack and work around before we can start actually merging with their codebase.

As you mentioned, we are ok for testers at present, but feel free to compile our source code and send bug reports in if you'd like, we'll welcome reports :)

Offline gwicks

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS
  • Jailbreak: Sn0wbreeze 2.7.3, redsn0w (i think)
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »

At least for the forseeable future, we're still going to be on our own codebase, once we progress further I will discuss with the CM team about merging our stuff in, there are some things that we'll need to hack and work around before we can start actually merging with their codebase.

As you mentioned, we are ok for testers at present, but feel free to compile our source code and send bug reports in if you'd like, we'll welcome reports :)

Ok, i'm perfectly happy to send bug reports, however, is the 3GS port even basically functional yet?(i dont need perfect, just something that won't brick it 100% of the time). I dont want to break my device too soon, so that when it gets better, i can test more (old bootrom 3gs's are hard to find). I hate to be asking these questions again, because theyve probably been answered before.

Offline vbetts

• View Profile
  • iDevice: Iphone 2g
  • iDroid Version: Pepparkaka
  • Jailbreak: Redsn0w
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 02:35:09 PM »
Have you tried advertising for developers on XDA, Iphone Developers, or github? I'm in no way an android developer, but I can easily think of at least 10 talented developers on XDA that are able to port from one device to another without the proper sources.

Offline iModApple

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 2
  • iDroid Version: None (waiting for new ports)
  • Jailbreak: Redsn0w 0.9.9b1 (iPhone) Jailbreakme 3.0 (iPad)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 04:53:40 AM »
I'll be happy to test on the iPhone 4 (GSM). Just get it up to a runnable state and I'll happily run Cyanogen Mod:D

Offline nickp666

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 11:37:49 AM »
Have you tried advertising for developers on XDA, Iphone Developers, or github? I'm in no way an android developer, but I can easily think of at least 10 talented developers on XDA that are able to port from one device to another without the proper sources.

I've had numerous discussions with a lot of different people on the subject, the nature of our project tends to put people off.

More or less all CM supported devices had complete kernel driver sources from the start, makes porting to them an awfully large amount easier, then there is other things like the fact we dont have the archetypal android 'recovery' to fuck around with, these things put off the less hardcore developers, and to be frank next to nobody really wants to sift through ARM ASM picking the bones out of the shit to write drivers, it is a complex, slow and time consuming task that most devs just dont want to have to do.

Of course I'd love a mainstream team to jump on board and help us push these ports to a usable state, but the time investment required is too much for most people.

Offline nerfman100

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPod touch 2nd Generation
  • iDroid Version: None yet :(
  • Jailbreak: sn0wbreeze 2.2.1
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »
Will you make a version of iDroid for iPod touch 2nd Gen? Or is there already one?  ???

Offline abtekk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 02:59:41 PM »
I would maybe be interested in keeping the iPhone 2G port up.
Currently buying the parts to rebuild my old iPhone 2G

Offline Peacemaker

• WTF, boom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 04:44:23 PM »
Ah. Discussing the future of iDroid. Man, I still remember when this project was in Alpha stage. :) Brings back some memories, it does. Remember when Pepparkaka was in development? Man, your twitter was flooded with requests for ETAs. And when it finally came out, you were a hero. :D

Anyways, I'll be happy to help, anytime. I don't use IRC a lot, but I could jump onto your server and chat if you would like. I'm mainly wanting to keep up the port with the iPod touch 1G.

Peace.
Meh. You wouldn't care.

Offline nickp666

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 10:05:32 AM »
Ah. Discussing the future of iDroid. Man, I still remember when this project was in Alpha stage. :) Brings back some memories, it does. Remember when Pepparkaka was in development? Man, your twitter was flooded with requests for ETAs. And when it finally came out, you were a hero. :D

Anyways, I'll be happy to help, anytime. I don't use IRC a lot, but I could jump onto your server and chat if you would like. I'm mainly wanting to keep up the port with the iPod touch 1G.

Peace.

It has never left alpha stage :) - everything is on github for those interested in maintaining ports, I look forward to seeing the pull requests

Offline Peacemaker

• WTF, boom.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 04:25:38 PM »
Lol, yeah, I guess it's still in Alpha. :)
I'll look into the source on Github later.
I finally took boxingcow's advice, and am halfway through learning C.

Anyways, is Honeycomb open source yet?
Meh. You wouldn't care.

Offline Qonstrukt

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 4, iPad 2 (GSM)
  • Jailbreak: None
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 09:09:01 AM »
Honey Comb wil never go open source. Ice-Cream Sandwich will, which is for tablets and smartphones. :)