Author Topic: Debian Status?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline bishop

• View Profile
Debian Status?
« on: May 26, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »
Soo... ikex, how is Debian on the iPhone going? Would love to get started playing with it. Lots of interesting possibilities.

Have you played with Xdmx and xinerama? there's no reason it shouldnt work as long as you can get it compiled.

Offline TR1PP

• View Profile
Re: Debian Status?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 01:07:40 AM »
Oh the triple booting possibilities.
I am now wondering why I didn\'t just buy an actual Android phone.

ccphilly1984

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 02:20:59 AM »
that would be intresting... i am thinking of getting an ipod touch with my dave and busters tickets i have saved up. i at least need to jailbreak it because i do not want to use itunes.. installing android and/or debian would be even better.

Offline wlt333

• View Profile
  • iDevice: Variety
  • iDroid Version: Latest + iX
  • Jailbreak: Variety
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 02:25:49 AM »
i am curious about this too...

Offline konaya

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:24:18 AM »
Heh, it would be awesome to run Debian GNU/Hurd on the iPhone. Talk about mixed feelings for Stallman :)

Offline bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »
I want to reinforce my idea about Xdmx and Xinerama

xdmx was a project, back in 2004 i think, to allow a local xserver to attach a remote instance of xserver (on another computer/iphone). the user can specify which xserver display to launch an app on (the app actually runs on the local computer and only the display information is sent to the remote). This project has since been merged into the standard xorg project.

Xinerma (from wikipedia): Xinerama is an extension to the X Window System which enables multi-headed X applications and window managers to use two or more physical displays as one large virtual display.

Imagine an iphone running as the local, and two other iphones, one on either side. you have a 3-screen computer!

also you could do the kind of thing we saw in Iron Man and Avatar, where they just grab a window on their desktop and throw it over to their portable device and keep working.

Offline iPwnUK

• *Insert Witty Comment Here*
    • View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 4 (GSM) 16G
  • Jailbreak: redsn0w 0.9.6(cant remember actual version)
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »
Quote from: "bishop"
I want to reinforce my idea about Xdmx and Xinerama

xdmx was a project, back in 2004 i think, to allow a local xserver to attach a remote instance of xserver (on another computer/iphone). the user can specify which xserver display to launch an app on (the app actually runs on the local computer and only the display information is sent to the remote). This project has since been merged into the standard xorg project.

Xinerma (from wikipedia): Xinerama is an extension to the X Window System which enables multi-headed X applications and window managers to use two or more physical displays as one large virtual display.

Imagine an iphone running as the local, and two other iphones, one on either side. you have a 3-screen computer!

also you could do the kind of thing we saw in Iron Man and Avatar, where they just grab a window on their desktop and throw it over to their portable device and keep working.
would look a lot better, the drag to another device thing, on an iPad to be honest, due to the much larger screen, but would still be a nice addon to have none-the-less :P

Offline bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 10:43:50 PM »
Quote from: "iPwnUK"
would look a lot better, the drag to another device thing, on an iPad to be honest, due to the much larger screen, but would still be a nice addon to have none-the-less :P

oh I'm assuming that we will definitely get to the ipad.

I propose we start a new svn repository for this, get it working on the hardware that we have now. then we just follow the idroid project as they make progress on the hardware front.

Offline konaya

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 11:53:18 AM »
I think it's a great idea! :)

ikex

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:19:52 AM »
Heya guys, sorry i haven't been on much recently. Not much spare time.

I've been meaning to write up a how to, but yeah time!

Basically you need a *nix(my case debian) buildroot (for ARM)

i've chucked up a working initrd and kernel at http://code.google.com/p/debianiphone/downloads/list

a standard debian buildroot *should* run fine (deboostrap), the kernel has the ttyusbserial gadget i would recommend installing wireless-tools and wpa_supplicant (if you're using WPA/WPA2) and writing the config before deploying (wpa-passphrase [ssid] [password] > myconfig) .

for the ttyusb serial gadget when the kernel is up and running on osx it pops up with a new serial device blah blah close it and use screen /dev/ttyGS0 (on osx) to connect to your phone (and drops a linux prompt) (you could just as easily add an init script to bring up wireless on boot)

I don't have access to a 2G anymore so it makes it a little hard to test

xorg works out of the box, i haven't been following the idroid kernel progress much but chances are my kernel is waaaaay out of date.

Hopefully sometime soon i can get back into working on it(I'd love to see debian on the iPad with awesomewm ;))

Hope that was pretty clear, typed in quite a rush!

Offline mark

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 05:12:41 PM »
thats for iphone 2g right?

Martin

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 04:38:28 PM »
is this 2g or 3g? its possible to see ubuntu on iphone?

Offline bishop

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 06:58:18 PM »
lol, Debian is one of the most popular forms of linux around, and yes, ubuntu is Debian-based. However, the gap between plain-ol-debian and Ubuntu Desktop (or MID for that matter) is pretty big.

The idea here is to put a functioning, standard linux distro on the iProducts. Debian is a great choice because nearly every linux program in existence has been written for or ported to Debian. Debian is also a much more "standard" linux distro, especially compared to Android.

Thanks a bunch ikex, I'll report back when i have made some progress.

imperialight

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 09:32:27 PM »
Have you seen this: Ubuntu for arm 10.7

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEovlXFKm84

Best of luck!

Offline Nick.kromme

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPad1
  • iDroid Version: none
  • Jailbreak: none(yet)
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 10:30:06 PM »
Any news on this? I've heard it COULD be possible on the iPad.. Whether it's Debian or Fedora on my iPad, I'm more than SURE it'll beat iOS for multipurpose useability..

**EDIT**
It might be handy for the iPad port to implement a SWAP-function, due to it's crappy low RAM.. Or am I talking nonsense here..?
**/EDIT**
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:36:28 PM by Nick.kromme »