Author Topic: iphone 3gs  (Read 10259 times)

Offline miguel_roboso

• View Profile
iphone 3gs
« on: July 01, 2010, 11:55:03 AM »
is the situation of the 3gs more like the iphone4 or more like the 3g?
I think it depends on the bootrom (old -> more like 3g, new -> more like 4)
I would REALLY like android on my 3gs...

Offline SeanKPS

• View Profile
Re: iphone 3gs
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:04:53 PM »
The iphone 4 is more like the ipad. The 3gs is closer to the 3g, but still not the same. I'm pretty sure there are way to get past the userland jailbreak.
I am pretty concerned about why there has been very little effort spoken of for the 3GS. It's the fastest iphone with a similar cpu to the 2g/3g,  since iphone4/ipad are pretty different.
You'd think developers, and everyone, would care more about the 3gs since android needs a better cpu to pick up its own slack.
But it seems like the oldest 2 are easier to develop for and their hardware has been around longer. Once power managment is done, plus some new and some improved drivers are out, we'll have a pretty usable port that would be worth extending to the 3GS
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 03:24:14 PM by SeanKPS »

Offline jenkem110

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 03:06:28 AM »
i would really like on my 4.

SinfulanimosIty

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 02:27:31 AM »
Because we're stuck at a user land jailbreak because all of the devs are sitting on the lower level exploits.

I swear, the iPhone 4 is out and we're all ready. But these guys are so paranoid and secretive. And communication with the community is basically at a halt. Geohot refuses to come on Twitter anymore, much less update his blog. Haven't heard anything from Dev Team.

Our only hope is planetbeing and chpwn.

iCRiSiS

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 10:53:14 PM »
I would really like to see that the iPhone 3GS was somewhat prioritized higher than it is. Only because I'm sure me and my fellow 3GS users that prefer Android would love this.

Also, I was thinking that a button layout such as this could be implemented so that the volume buttons and vibrate button can be used to their normal functions:

Press the home button once - Have this function as a back button on an Android powered phone; It may also be used to answer and incoming call.
Press the home button twice - Have this function as a home button on an Android powered phone.
Press the sleep button once - This could be used as an "end call" button, which would help with the power consumption problem because the "end call" button on an Android phone also puts the phone into sleep.

Offline iPwnUK

• *Insert Witty Comment Here*
    • View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 4 (GSM) 16G
  • Jailbreak: redsn0w 0.9.6(cant remember actual version)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 11:33:08 PM »
Quote from: "iCRiSiS"
I would really like to see that the iPhone 3GS was somewhat prioritized higher than it is. Only because I'm sure me and my fellow 3GS users that prefer Android would love this.

Also, I was thinking that a button layout such as this could be implemented so that the volume buttons and vibrate button can be used to their normal functions:

Press the home button once - Have this function as a back button on an Android powered phone; It may also be used to answer and incoming call.
Press the home button twice - Have this function as a home button on an Android powered phone.
Press the sleep button once - This could be used as an "end call" button, which would help with the power consumption problem because the "end call" button on an Android phone also puts the phone into sleep.
and i would really like to see people like you actually contributing to this project more than just saying 'why doesn't it work on whatever device yet', the 3GS hasn't been fully jailbroken to a suficient level for any changes to iboot made, so at the moment it is not possible to install openiboot to a 3GS/4/iPad, etc. even if one was developed. and work is being made for the 3GS by CPICH, just check the wiki.

Offline miguel_roboso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 08:37:26 PM »
Quote from: "iPwnUK"
and i would really like to see people like you actually contributing to this project more than just saying 'why doesn't it work on whatever device yet', the 3GS hasn't been fully jailbroken to a suficient level for any changes to iboot made, so at the moment it is not possible to install openiboot to a 3GS/4/iPad, etc. even if one was developed. and work is being made for the 3GS by CPICH, just check the wiki.

I had an answer to the question above, and it was "technically the two devices are different"; I didn't know that. This should clarify why I just donated 5$ instead of actively contributing to the implementation part: I do not know where to begin with, so, as for the 99% of the thing in this world I just put money in...

Offline liquidated

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
Just wondering, if you prefer Android, why did you buy an iPhone?

Offline miguel_roboso

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »
I bought the phone in Italy, where at the time, July 2009 there was no Android phone.
Still, I never said "I prefer Android".
However, Apple's policy is pitsing me off more and more, and I was thinking of changing the phone with an Android one.  
The point is, though, that I usually spend several months abroad, and I do not want to be bound to a contract, therefore an unlocked phone is the only solution for me. This means that for just trying android in a decent version I should buy a N1 or some htc (maybe the samsung with a thousand names) and an Android on iPhone 3gs would save me bucks. A lot of. That's why I find it correct to pump some donation now and then, when I have some spare $ to give. Not to mention that I should buy again all the apps I have, about 100$ in productivity apps that I cannot avoid; this keeps me from buying a terminal right now.
Another thing is the apps. I have a list of apps that I have on the phone and they WERE (still answering the question "why did you buy an iphone then?") iPhone only apps. One, for example, was (read, was) the navigation app, since google does not provide navigation outside the us. Now there is navigon, but again, at the time I bought the iPhone, no similar solution was present (anyway, for the non existing android phone in Italy).

Does it make sense?

cocoabean772

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 10:22:19 PM »
So Has Anyone started on the Old 3GS BootRom Cuz thats the one i have and also i heard the the IPT3G also has the same BootRom.

Offline Rekoil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 12:04:42 AM »
Quote from: "cocoabean772"
So Has Anyone started on the Old 3GS BootRom Cuz thats the one i have and also i heard the the IPT3G also has the same BootRom.
I have the same 3GS revision. You are correct in that our device is vulnerable to the 24kpwn exploit, however it [the 24kpwn exploit] only affects early iPhone 3GS and iPt2G (pre-MC) devices and as such (unfortunately) is extremely unlikely to be developed on.
32gb factory unlocked iPhone 3GS with early bootrom and shsh for all available firmwares
others: 16gb iPhone 3G, 16gb iPhone 2G, 8gb iPod touch 1G, 16gb iPod touch 1G, aTV2

status

cocoabean772

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 02:42:11 PM »
Quote from: "Rekoil"
Quote from: "cocoabean772"
I have the same 3GS revision. You are correct in that our device is vulnerable to the 24kpwn exploit, however it [the 24kpwn exploit] only affects early iPhone 3GS and iPt2G (pre-MC) devices and as such (unfortunately) is extremely unlikely to be developed on.
Dang i really wish someone would at least start an openiboot for it

Professional

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »
now 3gs 4.0.1 is fully jailbroken.
isn't the time to port it to 3gs?
i can help you if you mind ;)

Offline alex

• iDroid too slow? Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 08:24:49 PM »
Quote from: "Professional"
now 3gs 4.0.1 is fully jailbroken.
isn't the time to port it to 3gs?
i can help you if you mind ;)
No bootrom exploit for the newer devices. No one on the team has an old bootrom 3Gs which makes porting to the device a tough task.
#iphonelinux - General iDroid/openiBoot help and support | #idroid-dev - Contact a developer here | #iX - help and support for iX, an Ubuntu distribution for the iDevices | #iOS - all iOS and iPhone support goes here

All located on irc.osx86.hu

Offline miguel_roboso

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 12:21:59 AM »
what about the new bootrom exploit? it is supposed to work on every device, so it should be what idroid developers were waiting for, isn't it?
I really hope to be able to try Android...and maybe on a 4G :)