Author Topic: openiboot and apple tv 2  (Read 6589 times)

Offline neonnt

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 4, iPod Touch, iPad 3G, Apple TV 2
  • iDroid Version: none
  • Jailbreak: redsn0w, greenpois0n
openiboot and apple tv 2
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »
hi
is there any chance to install openiboot on apple tv 2 and after that ubuntu server or something like this?
i want to use it for apache and mysql stuff

regards
neonnt

Offline Rekoil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: openiboot and apple tv 2
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:30:43 AM »
Not yet, but you should be able to do those things in iOS. Might require some fiddling to compile the needed stuff though. I think the easiest way to do that is to compile on the device itself.
32gb factory unlocked iPhone 3GS with early bootrom and shsh for all available firmwares
others: 16gb iPhone 3G, 16gb iPhone 2G, 8gb iPod touch 1G, 16gb iPod touch 1G, aTV2

status

Offline krolaw

• View Profile
  • iDevice: AppleTV2
  • iDroid Version: NA
  • Jailbreak: NA
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:32:55 PM »
Hi, I'm really keen to run Ubuntu (or similar) on AppleTV2 myself, so I'm wondering if any progress has been made in this area.  Although, you can do a lot is iOS, getting some linux packages working can be a real pain by comparison.

Cheers.

Offline boxingcow

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • iDevice: iPad, iPod 4G and iPod 2G
  • iDroid Version: -
  • Jailbreak: Redsn0w
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Hi, I'm really keen to run Ubuntu (or similar) on AppleTV2 myself, so I'm wondering if any progress has been made in this area.  Although, you can do a lot is iOS, getting some linux packages working can be a real pain by comparison.

Cheers.

You potentially could in the future - no promises! - but progress has definitely been made, pay more attention! The current iDroid kernel should boot on the Apple TV 2, but as the display driver isn't quite finished, it really is of no use. So keep waiting...

Offline zaubara

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 4S, iPad2, Apple TV 2
  • iDroid Version: -
  • Jailbreak: Absinthe
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 06:38:50 PM »
I just registered and wanted to also state my interest in this.
As the ATV2 is quite cheap, it think it would be more than sufficient to run a private web/file/whatever server or something like that. I would really like to mount my NAS on my ATV2 natively (theres no way to mount NFS/AFP/SMB servers on an iOS device) and then run XBMC with additional services on it.

If you need testers on this, hit me up.

Offline franksemi

• View Profile
  • iDevice: AppleTV2
  • iDroid Version: Spamophzki 1.0.3
  • Jailbreak: PwnageTool 4
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 02:09:11 PM »
hi
is there any chance to install openiboot on apple tv 2 and after that ubuntu server or something like this?
i want to use it for apache and mysql stuff

regards
neonnt

Hi Neonnt, I just signed up here as it looks quite interesting, I think it will be useful to get a more 'clean' linux system running on apple tv 2, thinking in terms of a small server. Debian would definitely be to prefer in my case.

I have not tried any of the idroid project things yet.. but I have a apple tv 2 running lighttpd, mysql and a few other services.. It works quite well and you can just disable the gui if you have no need for it. I got it cleaned down to running on an average cpu 0.40 - 0.50 and 19 - 20 processes, that is the only install running so light as far as I know of anyway.

You can have a look http://appletv.sundog.dk I have put a couple links there where you can find most instructions and sources for installing the different things.. Both places the guys are nice and helpful :-) The mysql can be a bit tricky as you will need gcc and ruby installed first, dont know for sure why that is. Anyway for be able to install the different things especially mysql you will have to move some data from the boot partition to the usr and make the moved folders into symbolic links, the boot partition is running out of space just after installing a few packages.

Looking forward for testing out idroid.. Only problem I already have a good system running that took me long time to setup.. humm I guess I will have to buy myself a used apple tv 2 more :-)

/Frank