Author Topic: 3G connection but no 2g/gprs/edge  (Read 209 times)

Offline Voodooray

• View Profile
3G connection but no 2g/gprs/edge
« on: December 09, 2010, 06:36:20 PM »
Just wondered if anyone could shed any light on this for me? Phone took a knock last night and didnt think anything of it. Woke up today and saw no service. Went to work in a non 3g are and had no service all day. Came home and took the screen out the phone to check any loose connections. Once back together, i get 3g signal but no 2g. Tried swapping sims and worked in another phone but still the same on mine even with a different provider.

Does the iphone use different antenna for 2g and 3g??

Phone is a 3G on 4.1 pwnage tool with ultrasn0w

Offline lenarto

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3
  • iDroid Version: Mojo 1.0.4
  • Jailbreak: Pwntool 3.1.5
Re: 3G connection but no 2g/gprs/edge
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:05:10 AM »
Try resetting network settings, try reinstalling ultrasn0w, try uninstalling any toggles like sbsettings bossprefs for 3g, edge, etc. (that could cause conflicts when one's on and the other off), try 2G with data off, switching airplane mode on/off a few times.

My 3G had antenna problems when I got it off some guy for real cheap, believe it or not restoring firmware and unlocking it made it work.

Offline Voodooray

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 05:35:48 PM »
Try resetting network settings, try reinstalling ultrasn0w, try uninstalling any toggles like sbsettings bossprefs for 3g, edge, etc. (that could cause conflicts when one's on and the other off), try 2G with data off, switching airplane mode on/off a few times.

My 3G had antenna problems when I got it off some guy for real cheap, believe it or not restoring firmware and unlocking it made it work.

Done a DFU restore last night and have done all the above and still the same. I'm thinking it might be a hardware issue now after being dropped. Just strange that 3g works though

Offline Voodooray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:36:09 PM »
I just installed Idroid and amazingly i get a full signal!! I take it 3g is still not supported in Idroid?? If this is the case then the phone is hopefully using a 2g connection instead?? 

Offline ddominator

• The Dominator
  • Global Moderator
  • Sold his soul to Google
    • View Profile
    • Unofficial iDroid News Blog
  • iDevice: iPhone 2G 3.1.3
  • iDroid Version: MoJo 1.0.4.1
  • Jailbreak: redsn0w 0.94 FTW!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 03:49:56 PM »
Data is disabled because it is not working properly. So 3G and 2G are not working on iDroid at the moment.
Help Google takeover the world. Use Android on your mobile devices, use Chrome Browser, use Chrome OS!!!

Offline Voodooray

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:01:48 PM »
Data is disabled because it is not working properly. So 3G and 2G are not working on iDroid at the moment.

@ddominator, thanks for the reply. I know that there is now cellular data support in Idroid. What i meant was the actual cellular network. Since my phone took a knock, around the same time is could not get a signal with 3g turned off in IOS. When i reboot into Idroid, i get a full signal. Is this over the 2g carrier or 3g?

Offline lenarto

• View Profile
  • iDevice: iPhone 3G iOS 3.1.3
  • iDroid Version: Mojo 1.0.4
  • Jailbreak: Pwntool 3.1.5
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 07:24:38 PM »

From what I understand, I though 3G and 2G are for both voice and data, meaning you can have 3G on but data off. (thats my iphone settings since I have no data plan) So I'm just wondering when you say 3G and 2G are disabled, do you mean completely ? As in when we call with idroid it's old gsm analog or is it only the data part of the 3G that is not working ?

Offline Voodooray

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 07:29:37 PM »
The problem i have is that 3g signal, voice and data work fine. But 2g, signal voice and data is non existent. No edge, gprs or signal in IOS

Offline wlt333

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 01:37:41 AM »
It could be your method of baseband unlock? You using a jailbreak to get the unlock? Or a package in cydia?

Offline Voodooray

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »
It could be your method of baseband unlock? You using a jailbreak to get the unlock? Or a package in cydia?

I only unlock as my mrs relies on it, so i make sure the baseband unlock works on my phone before updating her's. I've gone back to 3.1.3 with carrier sim and still no joy. I think it's a hardware issue to be honest but it's strange how i get a 3g signal fine