Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338e9

Device bootloader development

Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338e9

by planetbeing » Fri May 07, 2022 12:14 am

Before that fix, on certain iPhones (those that have NOR manufactured by companies other than SST) the NOR write opcode that openiboot uses is not supported. NOR writes will fail silently and leave behind removed NOR. This can apparently cause the irreplaceable syscfg partition to become erased. As long as you backed up your NOR like I advised, you're okay, but many people do not.

I have provided my build of 6b338e9 here. Please remove any earlier builds for iPhone 3G you have posted to avoid damaging anyone's phone's inadvertently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

planetbeing
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2022 7:50 pm

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by bulldog5046 » Fri May 07, 2022 12:32 am

Thanks Planetbeing, and just to say thanks for all of your hard work!

well done!
bulldog5046
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue May 04, 2022 7:42 am

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by Popple3 » Fri May 07, 2022 12:34 am

If our current 3G build of OpeniBoot works, is updating still recommended? Or is it just an install issue for some iPhones?
Popple3
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2022 11:09 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by exploitz » Fri May 07, 2022 2:32 am

Is there no way to fix this problem if I COUDLNT back up my NOR....

Ok, so after running the bad build of openiboot and exploding my NOR.. I ended up unable to boot into iPhoneOS.

I was scared because I couldn't get the backup command to work at the time of me first using openiboot, so I didnt bother thinking nothing would happen.
I did a regular restore to 3.1.3 and ended up saving my beloved 3G.

never want to have to be that scared again
I leave that ***** Microsoft like Windows Vista
exploitz
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2022 11:27 pm

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by planetbeing » Fri May 07, 2022 4:41 am

exploitz wrote:Is there no way to fix this problem if I COUDLNT back up my NOR....

Ok, so after running the bad build of openiboot and exploding my NOR.. I ended up unable to boot into iPhoneOS.

I was scared because I couldn't get the backup command to work at the time of me first using openiboot, so I didnt bother thinking nothing would happen.
I did a regular restore to 3.1.3 and ended up saving my beloved 3G.

never want to have to be that scared again


There is no technical reason why you could not back up your NOR if you also managed to "explode" it. If for any reason if you could not backup your NOR, then perhaps it should be taken as an indication that things are not proceeding as they are meant to and you should not go ahead and type "install".

At any rate, if your syscfg was damaged, your phone will still boot up after a restore, but it will report an invalid serial number and your UUID will change. If you were legitimately activated, you would not be able to activate. Multi-touch calibration data will be lost as well as the battery identifier. If you have no backup of the NOR and you are in this state, then there is no way to recover from it. If things are still working for you then, your syscfg partition was not damaged and things are okay.

I cannot overstress how important it is to make a backup of your NOR before playing around.

planetbeing
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2022 7:50 pm

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by Noltari » Fri May 07, 2022 5:27 am

planetbeing wrote:Before that fix, on certain iPhones (those that have NOR manufactured by companies other than SST) the NOR write opcode that openiboot uses is not supported. NOR writes will fail silently and leave behind removed NOR. This can apparently cause the irreplaceable syscfg partition to become erased. As long as you backed up your NOR like I advised, you're okay, but many people do not.

I have provided my build of 6b338e9 here. Please remove any earlier builds for iPhone 3G you have posted to avoid damaging anyone's phone's inadvertently.

Oh sh1t, that are a lot of uploads xD.

Good work .
My modification of triboot/openiboot: http://github.com/Noltari/iphonelinux
iDroid kernel: http://github.com/Bluerise/kernel_common
Noltari
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2022 1:00 pm

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by exploitz » Fri May 07, 2022 5:50 am

planetbeing wrote:
exploitz wrote:Is there no way to fix this problem if I COUDLNT back up my NOR....

Ok, so after running the bad build of openiboot and exploding my NOR.. I ended up unable to boot into iPhoneOS.

I was scared because I couldn't get the backup command to work at the time of me first using openiboot, so I didnt bother thinking nothing would happen.
I did a regular restore to 3.1.3 and ended up saving my beloved 3G.

never want to have to be that scared again


There is no technical reason why you could not back up your NOR if you also managed to "explode" it. If for any reason if you could not backup your NOR, then perhaps it should be taken as an indication that things are not proceeding as they are meant to and you should not go ahead and type "install".

At any rate, if your syscfg was damaged, your phone will still boot up after a restore, but it will report an invalid serial number and your UUID will change. If you were legitimately activated, you would not be able to activate. Multi-touch calibration data will be lost as well as the battery identifier. If you have no backup of the NOR and you are in this state, then there is no way to recover from it. If things are still working for you then, your syscfg partition was not damaged and things are okay.

I cannot overstress how important it is to make a backup of your NOR before playing around.


Well, I didn't type "install" I just ran openiboot while tethered to the pc.. but after booting into android it seemed to have killed my phone.
I googled around, and then I saw an update on your git that said something about the iPhone 3G's NOR yada yada, so I guess I assumed the worst after reading what you posted.
I didn't think that simply running openiboot could mess anything up.
Anywho, I just did a simple restore and was back up and running.. but I was scared for a bit.
I leave that ***** Microsoft like Windows Vista
exploitz
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2022 11:27 pm

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by alex919 » Fri May 07, 2022 12:26 pm

I think this should be stickied.
alex919
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2022 2:37 pm

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by dodemc » Sat May 08, 2022 12:03 am

If i did not back up NOR and i have installed idroid working with multitouch and wifi and rebooted into my iphone os should i install the updated openiboot
dodemc
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2022 2:31 pm

Re: Don't use or publish 3G builds earlier than commit 6b338

by Dameckish » Sun May 09, 2022 5:40 pm

when i try to download your attached img.gz i get a file.php

Great work btw, i look at your blog and this forum at least 3 times/day. I wish i knew reverse engineering etc >.< keep up the awsome work!
Dameckish
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 02, 2022 6:18 pm

Next

Return to OpeniBoot development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot] and 0 guests