Recovery Mode allows you to install OpeniBoot.
Entering / Exiting Recovery mode
- Turn off the device
- Hold Home Button
- Immediately after pressing Home button plug in iPhone USB Cable
- Release Home once you see the "connect to iTunes" screen, or the animation of Steve Jobs saying "Hello" in Russian
- You're there.
To exit, just reboot normally.
Entering / Exiting DFU
Software cannot be used to reliably enter DFU. Software methods rely on sending a signed WTF file which either calls the "real" DFU mode in bootrom or emulates it. Only ones calling the bootrom DFU is useful for exploiting bootrom (unpatchable) exploits and none exist that work for firmware 2.0 and later. If you are attempting to exploit the DFU, it is advisable to always use the hardware method. If your NOR firmware is corrupted then you have no other choice but to use the hardware method.
How to Enter True Hardware DFU
- Turn off the device.
- Hold Power and Home for 10 seconds
- Release Power, and keep holding Home
- Keep holding home for 4-8 seconds or until you are alerted by your computer that it has detected a device in DFU.
If the Restore Logo is present on the screen, you are in Recovery Mode, not DFU.
While in DFU, hold the power and home buttons for 30-60 seconds. When I have tested it, it has varied, so I don't know an exact length of time to hold it. Note that sometimes if you do this, when the device reboots from DFU, it will go into recovery mode for unknown reasons.